When we were inside the train and I was in the middle of tickling him, I asked if he can look at the camera and told him that it would make me very happy. And this is the smile he gave me.
| One of those days when he does not want to have his picture taken. |
![]() |
| When I asked for a smile, he gave me an owl face instead. |
Most of the time, when we say "One, two, three... smile," he takes it as a signal to cover his face. Or just to run away. He becomes the blurry figure, with the photo barely making out his features. And the bottom of my camera-loving-heart breaks when I look at our pictures.
I remembered about the double-edged comment that one of his teachers said, "One issues goes, but another will take its place." Like the sun will shine, but it will be so hot that you'd rather stay indoors. Times like this, I just filter out the negative and focus on the positive. Or else, there will never be a reason for me to get out of bed.
Last night, as the boy was indulging in his 15-minutes-per-day iPhone time, I asked him to smile for me.
![]() |
| Attempt 1: Javier look at the camera! |
![]() |
| Attempt 2: Javier, look! Please... |
![]() |
| Attempt 3: Javier, if you smile, you will make Mama happy. |
![]() |
| Attempt 4: Javier, smile harder. And I will give you five little speckled frogs. |
What do you know. Rewards work. If only it works every time.
To reward Javier, he gets to have his five frogs before bedtime. And his mama goes to sleep with a smile on her face.





Hahaha!!! I bet he'll have a ball looking at those pictures when he's all grown up :)
ReplyDelete