Thursday, October 4, 2012

The boy's diary

The boy still faces challenges in telling us the things that happened during the day and it can get frustrating to get the same answers all the time. Surely, something apart from recess and singing took place in school.

The speech therapist suggested that I spend some time everyday asking him how his day went. On a normal day, I will do some writing exercises with him, but with this new goal, I need to see how to address this and at the same time, practice his writing. In order to do this, we started a journal.

His journal is pretty straightforward and we just list three to five things that happened in his day. Yesterday was the first time that we did this and it took us forty minutes to list six things. In the middle of it, he cried because he complained that he was tired.

I felt sorry for making him do work on top of his therapies and intervention sessions, but I just thought this was better than letting him play a mindless game or let him stim aimlessly and think about his obsessions.

His obsession du jour is the crane. In a way, it's fascinating how he is able to focus on the details and actually remember them. A few days ago, he drew a crane from memory. I don't even remember that it had the "rope parts" until he drew it. Whew. This boy can sometimes blow my mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment