Sunday, August 21, 2011

RIP Cookie Monster

Saturday mornings are usually uneventful. Most of the time, I will just stay at home and spend time with my family and all things will go without a hitch.

Yesterday turned out differently, although it started rather innocently.

Javier and I just finished eating breakfast and the boy was getting bored and he politely requested me for youtube, "Mammy, I want to watch youtube...please," with the 'please' after a deliberate pause to stress that he was using this 'magic word' to force me to get the laptop booted asap.

I went to the bedroom and got 2 laptops. My old ibook G4 (circa 2005) whom I named Cookie Monster and my hubby's older Macbook Pro. The ibook was for Javier's youtube viewing and the macbook was for me. I turned on cookie monster and its fan made a loud whirring sound, as if it was suddenly inflating itself from the inside. I waited for the few seconds, hoping the fan would stop but it didn't and cookie monster got very, very cold.

"Ohmygod, was this the grasp of hardware death?," I asked myself.

The fan still hasn't stop after a good two minutes and I decided to remove the battery. (This older generation of mac laptops still had the removable battery). When I dislodged the battery, the fan stopped. I thought this was the end of my morning hardware drama but then, things got worse. As I turned on the power button and waited for the familiar mac chime, it never turned on. I just froze and realized cookie monster has died. I looked at Javier and told him my computer is dead. I was expecting him to have a meltdown since he didn't get his youtube but to my surprise, he was well-behaved and patiently waited for me to recover from shock.

Cookie Monster, RIP.

2005 - 2011

Cookie's life flashed right before my eyes and I know it sounds funny for me to be so sentimental about the loss of this laptop but we went through so much. This was my first laptop and it was with me as I shuttled between Los Banos and Singapore. We went through graduate school together and all my research was done on it. I graduated from my masters in 2008 and I remember actually thinking whether I should be replacing my laptop or not. In the end, I decided to stick with Cookie because it was still ok. Fast forward to 2011 and it was still alive. I should be thanking my lucky stars that it lasted this long.

Goodbye, Cookie Monster. Thank you for everything.




No comments:

Post a Comment