Saturday, July 30, 2011

Bread time - Part 2

I made the dough a few days ago and since it's a weekend today, I decided to bake my first bread.

Dough at rest.
I cut the dough in half and allowed it to 'rest' for 40 minutes. That's cornmeal that you see scattered all over the plate. I don't have a pizza peel, so I just grabbed the flattest plate I can find. You can see my lack of expertise from the way I sprinkled cornmeal over the plate, haha.

I tried my best not to be intimidated by that small mound of dough. I reminded myself that the worst thing that could happen is that I'd end up eating the store-bought bread for breakfast instead of this one.

After 40 minutes of resting (and after I've preheated the oven and made an improvised bain-marie), I put the dough in the oven. Since I don't have a pizza peel and I really can't just shove the plate into the oven, I just used a spatula to push my dough onto the baking sheet.

My first attempt at artisan bread-making

After 30 minutes in the oven, voila! The crust was crunchy and the inside was moist and chewy. My bread is ready for my hungry family.

No comments:

Post a Comment