Saturday, July 30, 2011

Home-made Playdough

Play-doh (the commercial one) is one of my son's favorite toy. Unfortunately, it is also his favorite thing to throw out the window everytime he has a meltdown. This kind of love-hate relationship between the boy and his toy is not sustainable. If I buy him a new tub today, it will be gone in a week's time.

Coincidentally, the book I am currently reading, "The Out of Sync Child Has Fun" by Carol Stock Kranowitz includes a homemade playdough recipe. Thank you, serendipity! Now that I know how to make homemade playdough, I don't have to keep buying it (sigh of relief).

For mommies out there with playdough loving kids, this is for you.

Developmental age range: 3 & up.

Recipe:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 cup salt
  • 4 tsp cream of tartar
  • 2 cups water
  • 4 tbsp vegetable oil
  • Large cooking pot and wooden spoon(s)
  • Optional: sand, plastic "ice cubes," food coloring, or vanilla, peppermint or other extract (Not the oil, which burns sensitive fingers)
  • Airtight plastic container, to keep the playdough for weeks. (Refrigeration is not necessary but will help it last longer.)
Preparation:
  • In a large pot, stir flour, salt, cream of tartar, water and oil over very low heat until the dough comes away from the edge of the pot and makes a ball. Let it cool.
  • To heighten tactile sensation, stir in some sand or add plastic "ice cubes".
  • To engage the visual sense, add food coloring.
  • To arouse the olfactory sense, blend in a few drops of vanilla, peppermint, or other extract (I used peppermint extract). Note: Do not use cinnamon, which, like oil flavorings, may burn sensitive fingers.
Who needs store-bought presents, when you can make your own! :) 
    Waiting for the dough to cool before adding the food color and the peppermint extract.


    After I've added the red and the blue food color. 


    After I presented my homemade gift to my son. He can't keep his hands off it!


    Javier playing with the uncolored and unscented playdough.











    No comments:

    Post a Comment