In between piles of work, I managed to squeeze time to read about autism. Yesterday, instead of googling for "autism", I decided to google for "autism recovery." There were about 11 million results on the topic. I don't want to be too hopeful, because the realist in me says that my son's autism is here to say. But at the same time, the mother in me is still hoping for a miracle, that by some way, a series of things can trigger my son's recovery.
Here's the article I read:
http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/news/20090511/researchers-see-recovery-from-autism
The gist of that is Deborah Fein, PhD (lead author of the study) is saying that some children are capable of moving off the autism spectrum. She also added that children who received applied behavioural analysis (ABA) as a treatment early had a good chance of recovering.
Ms Fein has a caveat though: children who have 'recovered' may still have attention problems, anxiety, ADHD, phobias or depression... Not really a comforting thought.
No comments:
Post a Comment