Monday, July 4, 2011

Trip to Marina Barrage

Yesterday, we took Javier to the Marina Barrage. We have been so busy with the packing that we hardly had time to give the boy his weekly dose of fun. So here we are trying to make up for it.

We make it a point to take the train and the bus because Javier likes them! One thing we discovered though, is that he is very sensitive to sound so we also need to make sure that where we are sitting is not too noisy (no loud screeching of train tracks, no sudden brake sounds, etc.) It makes him upset and he will want to get out of the train/bus altogether.

When he refuses to get up in the morning we manage to pull him out of bed with the promise of going to the mall or the park. But we must be careful with our promises since he remembers... In this instance, I am also making use of positive reinforcement to 'train' him. For example, if he looks at me in the eye, I reward him with what he is asking for. If he makes a request without looking at me in the eye, I will ignore him and remind him to look at me in the eye. This seems to work as his eye contact with us is improving.



Javier can't control his laughter. He was so happy to see the barrage.

View from the barrage


Marina Barrage. It has a grassy roof where people can go and fly kites. Too bad we didn't bring our own kite. Next time...





Javier enamored by his favorite things: Letters


Javier with papa. He's his mini-me.
I promised myself that inspite of my son having a condition, I will do my best to give him all the elements of a normal childhood. Just because he sees the world differently doesn't mean that I will deprive him of what's outside and beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment